Tuesday 15 November 2016

micro:bit Blue - open source at last!

Most of the micro:bit demos involving a smartphone shown on my micro:bit page involve an Android application I wrote and which I eventually decided to call "micro:bit Blue". It was initially put together to help me to test the Bluetooth profile I'd designed for the micro:bit. Then, as I started to have ideas, it transformed into a series of demos.

But I always had the aim that it be released as open source, so I also did my best to provide educational documentation in the helps screens so that people who are new to Bluetooth could get the hang of the primary concepts.

A few months ago I loaded the application into Google Play so that other people could find and install it easily.

 It's right here:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bluetooth.mwoolley.microbitbledemo&hl=en_GB

Meanwhile, releasing the source code was delayed by a variety of rather uninteresting issues. And then some more. To cut a long story short and at the same time apologise for having taken so long over this, today I'm delighted to say that the source code is now available!

The new microbit foundation have kindly offered a home for the code and their home being more palatial than my own github home, I gratefully accepted their offer.

I hope those people who have been waiting for this are pleased and that everyone and anyone with an interest in writing smartphone apps for the micro:bit finds this useful.

Here it is:

https://github.com/microbit-foundation/microbit-blue

 Enjoy :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.